CPU coolers have been used to remove heat generated by the processor in the center of your computer. These cooling components’ have fans, radiators, and other features allowing them to collect heat energy to move away from crucial functioning parts without affecting the hardware.
There can several reasons one wants to know how to remove cpu cooler, over time it gets essential to remove the fan for cleaning for which check out how to clean CPU cooler.
Whenever you are working around your pc system, firstly it is important to make sure you are handling the pc components with care and taking essential safety measures as they are sensitive electronics. Hence you should take the precautions below mentioned below:
- Avoid working on a carpeted surface whenever feasible, especially in chilly, dry regions.
- Before working with the system components, dissipate any static energy by contacting a grounded metal item, such as the system metal chassis.
- Before handling any electrical gadgets, use antistatic devices such as wrist straps.
Removing CPU stuck to cooler:
The process of removing is quite easy and straightforward, for people who do it often, they can do it very quickly as it’s not much of a hassle, however, if you are a beginner it might be a tough one and you will get the hang of it for sure.
It is important to ensure while removing the cooler, you don’t accidentally mess up any of the other components which can lead to a great amount of damage. however, if you do face any issues within the CPU, you must check out our article on how to tell if cpu is dead The techniques of removing the cooler without harming other components are outlined below.
- Firstly you need to turn off your computer, or you can experience shocks, the computer can behave differently and components inside can also burn. When the CPU is turned on, you can’t disconnect the cooler. It must also be unplugged from the motherboard.
- Next, you will remove the cover from the cooler, Some CPUs may include a duct or ventilation system. To make the processor and heat sink exposed, you must first remove them. By pushing the clamps and drawing the duct away, you may swiftly remove it. Make sure you complete the task cautiously because you may injure yourself otherwise. There is also the possibility of breaking the lid if you are in a rush.
- Now you will heat the thermal paste, a thermal paste is a substance that connects the CPU to the cooler. The cooler fan and CPU will be fused if the thermal paste is cold. To accomplish this, turn on your computer for 15-20 minutes. It will heat the thermal paste, making it mushy and malleable, allowing you to simply remove the cooler. Don’t skip this step since it might result in twisted pins that destroy the cooler. Also, avoid touching the hot thermal paste since you will be burned. . you further read more about thermal paste and how to clean it off cpu in our article
- Removing the cooler from the motherboard would be your next step. Before you can remove the cooler, you must first detach it from the motherboard. A two, three, or four-pin cable linked to the motherboard is easily found. To disconnect the cooler, you must remove the pins. If you know how to open these pins, it’s quite simple. If one pin of the CPU stuck to the cooler, don’t pull too hard. Furthermore, do not attempt to pull the pin by its wire because this may destroy the pin’s connection. To detach from the motherboard, grip the connection end and pull it up.
- Remove the clips from the CPU, the cooler is connected to the processor by multiple clips attached to the motherboard. Locate the clips that hold the cooler to the processor after you’ve disconnected it from the motherboard. By gently pushing them down, you may simply unclip them. Screws may be used to secure certain coolers. If your cooler is held together by screws, loosen them to remove it. If you force it, the cooler will shatter and the processor will be damaged as well.
So that’s how you take the CPU cooler off of your computer. Now, the procedure may vary depending on the model. For example, if you have Intel or ryzen, however, the difference would be in the pins, intel four pins are different and the same for ryzen , hence make sure to check that before moving forward.
If your cooler is difficult to remove, one or two pins may still be linked to the motherboard. Check it again, and don’t attempt to force it up. Replacing the cooler with force will harm both the motherboard and the cooler. Thermal paste is used to secure the CPU and refrigeration unit together. You’ll need to clean it up and reapply the fresh paste before reinserting it.
What happens when the cooler is removed?
With the processor, the CPU cooler is sealed with thermal paste. The seal will be broken when you remove it, and you will be unable to repair it with the leftover paste. This will cause bubbles in the paste and prevent the cooler from properly attaching to the CPU.
You must reattach a new CPU cooler, for which you can check out our article on best CPU cooler for ryzen 5 3600.or the current cooler after cleaning up since a computer cannot function without one. If the bubble persists in the paste, your cooler will be unable to effectively cool your processor, causing your PC to slow down.
Once you detach a cooler from the CPU, be certain to clear any residual from the previous thermal paste before applying fresh thermal paste to properly bond the new or existing cooler. You won’t be able to run your computer without the cooler since it’s required to keep the components cool.
When do I remove the CPU cooler?
The cooler fan accumulates a layer of dust over time from frequent use, causing the heat sink unit to underperform. You must remove it, wipe the dust, and replace it carefully. As a result, removing and cleaning the CPU will allow it to perform more efficiently without overheating.
Also, if you believe your previous cooler isn’t functioning well, you’ll need to replace it. If your computer’s cooler fails, you’ll notice overheating and frequent restarts.
The old thermal paste frequently turns oily and filthy. In some circumstances, a fresh paste is required to correctly connect the current cooler. Remove the CPU cooler before reapplying the thermal paste.
Conclusion: How to Remove CPU Cooler:
A CPU cooler is a highly important and powerful component of a computer. It helps to minimize the excessive heat generated by a strong CPU.
Despite the fact that the job is difficult and removing and reattaching the cooler unit is a difficult process, you can simply accomplish it if you follow our instructions on how to remove cpu cooler.
Also, because the thermal paste is essential for keeping the computer connected to the CPU, understand how to correctly remove the old thermal paste, put a fresh one, and reattach the cooler.